Nutella Pound Cake

September 18, 2009

IMG_3295

Let’s just cut to the chase, shall we?  I saw this Nutella Pound Cake recipe in this month’s Food and Wine and had to make it.  I decided to double the recipe which I almost always do with this sort of treat.  Things baked in loaf pans freeze well and it is so little effort to double.  Then, one night when your husband calls you and says that so-and-so is coming to dinner, you have a dessert just waiting for you in your freezer.

I needed some treats for preschool teachers so instead of baking the cakes in two 9×5 in pans, I baked up 4 mini loaf pans and one 8×4 inch pan.  The baking time had to be adjusted so I gave it my best guess and then just checked on them frequently.  The mini loaves were done at around 35 minutes and those turned out fine.  I left the larger pan in for another 10 minutes.  It didn’t look quite done but the toothpick came out clean so, against my better judgement, I took it out of the oven.

IMG_3299

When I went to unmold it 15 minutes later, the entire middle ran out all over my counter.  Apparently it needed a little more time in the oven.  I did manage to save the ends and let me tell you, this is an amazing cake.  Do yourself a favor though and just follow the recipe.

IMG_3311

One Year Ago:  Pissladière

Nutella-Swirl Pound Cake
Food and Wine
Makes one 9-by-5 inch loaf

This recipe tells you to use a handheld mixer but I used my stand mixer instead with good results.

1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
One 13-ounce jar Nutella

1.  Preheat the oven to 325°F.  Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan, tapping out any excess flour.  In a glass measuring cup, lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla.  In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder and salt.

2.  In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed utnil fluffy, about 3 minutes.  With the mixer at medium-low speed, gradually beat in the egg mixture until fully incorporated.  Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating at low speed between additions until just incorporated.  Continue to beat for 30 seconds longer.

3.  Spread one-third of the batter in the prepared pan, then spread half of the Nutella on top.  Repeat with another third of the batter and the remaining Nutella.  Top with the remaining batter.  Lightly swirl the Nutella into the batter with a butter knife.  Do not overmix.

4.  Bake the cake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.  Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up and let cool completely, about 2 hours.  Cut the cake into slices and serve.

Make ahead: The pound cake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

60 Comments »

1. I fell in love with Nutella when we were in France. I loved the nutella banana crepes:) Sorry your cakes weren’t done all the way. The ends look fabulous. Thanks for highlighting this recipe!

Comment by Maria — September 18, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

2. mmm Hugh would swoon if i made this, he LOVES nutella. Don’t know many who don’t, so I’m sure this went over quite well with the teachers!

Comment by Sprouted Kitchen — September 18, 2009 @ 8:53 pm

3. Okay, this is a must. Next week. I can’t wait longer than that.

Comment by Julie — September 18, 2009 @ 8:53 pm

4. Oh, wow.

Comment by maggie — September 18, 2009 @ 9:01 pm

5. I have nutella sitting around in my cupboard from ages ago. I never know what to make with it, so I think it’s time to put it to good use. These look beautiful.

Comment by kickpleat — September 18, 2009 @ 9:47 pm

6. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to sink my teeth into those! Wow! Gorgeous Dana!

Comment by Tartelette — September 19, 2009 @ 3:15 pm

7. “Just follow the recipe.” Easier said than done for some of us!

Comment by The Leftoverist — September 19, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

8. Pound cake is one of the only kind of cakes I truly enjoy. And Nutella? This recipe stole my heart, especially upon seeing the second picture. Just beautiful and so delicious looking. A must make. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Eralda — September 19, 2009 @ 5:17 pm

9. I quiver when I hear nutella. I simply love the stuff!

Comment by veron — September 20, 2009 @ 1:27 am

10. Brilliant recipe! This was my first real time baking and I shared this with my family; the actual cooks in the gang loved it…props to Dana, this one also stole my heart…

Comment by Jason — September 20, 2009 @ 2:24 am

11. Oh my yes! This looks to yummy for words.

Comment by peabody — September 20, 2009 @ 6:44 am

12. Still in Paris…….I made this a few months back, it was sinful!
    See you soon!

Comment by Stacey Snacks — September 20, 2009 @ 6:19 pm

13. My jaw dropped open at the last photo! Wow!

I love that this recipe uses an ENTIRE jar of Nutella.

Comment by Hilary — September 20, 2009 @ 6:45 pm

14. Ahh! This looks yummy! Nutella is awesome.

Comment by The Cooking Bride — September 21, 2009 @ 5:02 pm

15. WOW! Beautiful cake Dana! :)

Comment by Ria — September 21, 2009 @ 8:11 pm

16. Ooh, that looks wonderful! I have a jar of Nutella in the cupboard, which, sadly to say, has been neglected for far too long. I may have to try this recipe one of these days. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by D. at Outside Oslo — September 22, 2009 @ 6:56 am

17. I love finding new Nutella recipes and this one is definitely one I’ll be trying asap. Sounds and looks totally perfect. Thanks for sharing it. I bet those teachers were pretty happy!

Comment by Michelle — September 23, 2009 @ 12:18 am

18. You had me at “Nutella”!

Can’t. Wait.

Must. Have. Nutella. Pound. Cake.

Comment by Ann Kroeker — September 23, 2009 @ 3:04 am

19. I saw this too and said I must make this! I have not tried it yet though but am spreading the word to fellow foodie friends, who can say no to Nutella? (Unless you are allergic.)

Comment by Annie — September 23, 2009 @ 7:00 pm

20. I’m not a nutella nut as many people are but I know some people who are so will have to save this. It sounds awesome!

Comment by Ashley — September 24, 2009 @ 5:10 am

21. Nutella pound cake? How did I not know something like that existed? Can I convince you to sneak some in your bag to blogher? Just kidding (sort of)

Comment by Allison Arevalo — September 24, 2009 @ 6:01 am

22. Oh my stars, I think I just gained 5 lbs by looking at this. I love Nutella and have only recently been seeking recipes (previously just used as a spread or added to peanut butter sandwich).

I am going to try this – looks heavenly

Comment by disneypal — September 24, 2009 @ 8:20 am

23. That looks absolutely scrumptious. Nutella doesn’t stay around long enough in our house. I imagine it would be the same for these pound cakes!

Comment by HappyTummy — September 24, 2009 @ 10:12 am

24. I am trying-trying-trying to stop baking sweet things all the time. This is so not helping my cause!

Comment by Bordeaux — September 24, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

25. [...] I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but I will soon: Nutella pound cake. [...]

Pingback by Food on Fridays: Nutella Commercial « — September 25, 2009 @ 3:09 am

26. [...] NUTELLA POUND CAKE via Dana Treat [...]

Pingback by Carbohydrate Friday (a.k.a. – I’ve got potential!) « INTERNET THERAPY — September 25, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

27. Thanks for sharing this. I made this last weekend. The cake tasted great, but was underdone. I’m thinking of doing it again in muffin tins or watching the timing more carefully.

Comment by Cynthia — September 27, 2009 @ 4:21 am

28. I’m officially obsessed with your blog. I want to make this for my brother, he loves Nutella!

Comment by maris — September 28, 2009 @ 5:17 pm

29. I was so inspired by what you wrote and pictures, I made some this very afternoon. First batch(I used mini loaf tins too)are out and are perfect. Second batch I have amped up on the Nutella and sprinkled hazelnuts on top. Can’t wait.

Comment by Carol — October 4, 2009 @ 9:50 am

30. My good friend at http://gulfskye.blogspot.com/ forwarded this link to me and I just couldn’t wait one minute to start mixing up the recipe. The photo just looks divine, but I have to say that the smell of it cooking in my oven at this very minute . . . mmm m mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmm. I am so anxious to taste this scrumptious combination of goodness:-)

Comment by Country Cook — October 12, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

31. [...] made the nutella pound cake with this recipe. i confess that i’m not crazy about it. the finished cake was a bit leaden and flat tasting, [...]

Pingback by coming up for air « rhymes with spoon — October 15, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

32. I finally made this sumptious pound cake. I had been saving it to make for my daughter’s birthday, which we celebrated today. She loves Nutella. It was easy, delicious, and will be made again and again. It did smell heavenly baking and was very moist.

Comment by Penny — October 16, 2009 @ 4:42 am

33. I remember when nobody knew about Nutella. We used to eat it on baguettes when we lives in France as school kids. Funny how one item from Europe gets adopted in the US and all kinds of creative versions of it spring out as a result. My kids would love that cake!

Comment by tasteofbeirut — November 4, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

34. Hi, I tried your recipe but the Nutella sank to the bottom instead of being beautifully swirled in the middle like yours. Any tips to improve that?

Comment by Jenny — November 24, 2009 @ 1:16 pm

35. OMG, these are so good! I made two loaves yesterday, one for home and one to take to a dinner party. My house smelled amazing and they came out so moist and the nutella goodness is to die for!

Comment by Kelli — January 23, 2010 @ 6:40 am

36. my nutella sunk to the bottom…

Comment by xiLLeNtz — February 2, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

37. My Nutella sunk to the bottom too. Tried to fix the problem a second time by lightening up the Nutella, but that only made it seize up & become too thick to do any swirling into the batter. I will try again because, despite my problems, this cake is totally DELICIOUS!

Comment by Mili — March 7, 2010 @ 5:57 am

38. My Nutella also sunk. At first I thought it was burning because the edges were getting so dark. Once we started eating, we realized the Nutella had sunk and caramelized on the bottom, hence the dark/crispiness. I think next time I will try making my first layer of batter thicker. I also thought about dropping the Nutella by spoonfuls and swirling that way. Either way, sunken Nutella is better than no Nutella.

Comment by Maddi — April 25, 2010 @ 12:44 am

39. [...] Not good, I know. Well here is a recipe for Nutella Pound Cake found on this cute lil blog called Dana Treat. Enjoy these pictures and hopefully yours will turn out a little better than [...]

Pingback by Nutella Pound Cake « Rachel Ferkovich — May 5, 2010 @ 3:45 am

40. mine sunk..great taste…how do I fix that. Is it because I overloaded the pan? Or should I add a tad more flour? or add smaller spoons of nutella on each layer? Any suggestions?

Comment by Betty — August 10, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

41. Hey,
    just wondering will it work if i cut half the recipe?!

Comment by Sue — September 20, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

42. Just made it for Thanksgiving dessert! Turned out great! So good with vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee.

Comment by Zach — November 25, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

43. Yum! I only had half a jar of Nutella, so I suplemented peanut butter…it was a nice touch. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by laura — December 10, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

44. [...] I made the most delicious Nutella Loaf. I found the recipe on the blog Dana Treat. I have been following Dana’s blog for quite a while but I had never [...]

Pingback by Nutella Loaf « Sweet & Savory — January 9, 2011 @ 3:07 am

45. [...] have a half-empty jar of Nutella in your cabinet, leftover from a disasterous attempt at halving Dana’s recipe for Nutella pound cake (yes, even the great fall [...]

Pingback by Chocolate Nutella Ganache — February 2, 2011 @ 3:36 am

46. [...] I know, I know.  I haven’t posted my pictures from my Korea/Japan trip.  Hell, I haven’t posted anything in months.  I promise I will soon.  In the meantime, here’s what I did tonight.  Recipe link here. [...]

Pingback by Delayed…. | Shooting and Eating — June 9, 2011 @ 5:08 am

47. [...] started with potato salad and Nutella pound cake. (links will take you to the respective recipes) The potato salad was an inspired opening play [...]

Pingback by My Bread Stars in Slasher Flicks « Altar Kitchen and Arcade — July 13, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

48. Looks amazing, I am actually attempting to make this right now.

Sam
    Grazingbears.com

Comment by Sam — August 15, 2011 @ 12:20 am

49. Do you think I could make this in a bundt cake pan?

Comment by Alison Jdee — September 22, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

50. Would this work in a bundt pan?

Comment by alison — September 23, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

51. Yes you can make it in a bundt pan. I have a twelve cup bundt pan I just made a double recipe of this in. Doubling the recipe is a bit too much for a 12 cup bundt pan (but not tons too much). And it cooked in the same amount of time. Because I find straight nutella too cloying, I use half as much as this calls for and mix it with unsweetened cocoa powder. Also, I’ve made this several times and sometimes the nutella sinks and sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t figure out what accounts for the difference. It’s still tasty when it sinks, but not the same. And when it sinks in a bundt pan, the top of the cake is mostly nutella. Hope this is helpful.

Comment by Susie — October 9, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

52. I made this recipe today and did everything it said as far as measurements. When I put it in the oven to make by 30 minutes there was butter EVERYWHERE, literally it was cake was drowning in butter as if I was making butter with cake instead of a cake with some butter….

I had to take it out of the pan and quench the butter with paper towels. Yes I did use the recipe measurements of 2 sticks of butter. And all the other measurements were correct too.

Comment by regina — November 8, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

53. [...] 1 Nutella pound cake, crumbled (click for original recipe) 1 large packet of Jello instant chocolate pudding 3 cups of cold milk 16-oz. carton of heavy [...]

Pingback by Pinned: Nutella pound cake recipe review | — November 21, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

54. I made this cake tonight and it was not cooked all the way through. Followed every step of the recipe, etc…anyone else with this issue? I was hoping to serve it tomorrow for Thanksgiving.

Comment by Stephanie Howard — November 24, 2011 @ 5:20 am

55. I made this pound cake, and had to cook it for about an hour and 45 mins just so that the center would be thoroughly cooked, so my ends and sides were pretty crunchy! It was still delicious but I’m wondering how to get an all over moist and soft cake?!?? Was yours crunchy at the edges too?

Comment by Alexa — February 26, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

56. This is “to die for” or at least know that guests, those you gift anytime for any occasion will LOVE IT! It doesn’t last beyond one meal or cutting and serving. I have made in a bundt and/or tube pan. I t releases, cuts and serves more nicely,however, in a loaf pan. Just one of my best treats for special people.

Comment by Camille Trolson — June 30, 2012 @ 12:52 am

57. Ummmm…even though the Gator Gal is steaming and it’s a sin to heat the oven she’s heatin’ the oven to make some nutella cakes-one for the funeral, one for the guests and one for Gator Gal to munch on while watching the Olympics! We’re all good at something and tonight I will be takin’ the Gold at finishing my cake! As we say down in the deepest of south-Louisiana, “It’s all good!”

Comment by Jillie Gator Gal — July 29, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

58. Hello, this sounds amazing and I would like to make it for my mum for her birthday :) Please tell me, how much is 2 sticks of butter? Thank you for sharing this!

Comment by josie — October 23, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

59. Josie, 2 sticks of butter is 8 ounces.

Comment by dana — October 23, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

60. Hey guys. I’m 14 and I made this cake. So simple! It was the best cakes I have ever eaten and I’m from one of those southern families that loves their food! Haha. I made it and it was gone within a day at my house and there are only 4 of us!

Comment by Nicole Golden — December 23, 2012 @ 2:02 pm